Installing the Portable Truss Anchor Fall Protection System
To install, thread the anchor to the telescoping extension pole, attach the SRL, and position the anchor between the bottom truss cord angles, rotate 90° and set on the angles. The resulting portable fall arrest system creates a temporary anchor tie off point that can be used at multiple locations throughout your facility.
The Portable Truss Anchor is rated for one single user and designed for use with K, KCS, LH, or DLH series truss systems capable of withstanding a concentrated load of 1,800 pounds.
Anchor Placement Notes
Truss anchorage locations must be approved by a safety engineer or a qualified person and must meet all of the requirements noted in the Connect Safe Permanent Truss Anchor Instruction Manual. A few important notes on anchor placement:
- Do not install at the end of a truss
- Do not install between the first and second panel point
- Do install located between two panel points.
- Install as close as possible to a panel point
To ensure safe operation of your portable fall protection system, it is important to carefully inspect your building’s truss system and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Bracing shall be straight, undamaged, and meet the original design intent
- The span and loading of the truss affects the allowable concentrated load that may be applied to the truss. It must be capable of withstanding a concentrated load of 900 pounds with a safety factor of two (2) for certified anchorages and 5000 pounds for non-certified anchorages
- No more than one user is permitted at a time per truss
- Do not attach to a truss that is smaller than 18 inches in height
- An acceptable truss must be designed according to the Steel Joist Institute (SJI) and be a K, KCS, LH, or DLH series truss
- It is vital that the truss system is inspected by an engineer or qualified person for structural integrity which includes (but is not limited to) corrosion, end connections, size, load capacity, welds, existing loading, bracing, span, or any other unsafe conditions
Each Portable Truss Anchor Kit includes:
- OSHA Compliant Portable Truss Anchor
- 18′ Telescoping Installation Pole
- Choice of one 11′ or 20′ Self-Retracting Lifeline
- User Installation & Instruction Manual
- Kits with Body Harness Also Available